Ever wondered what this PEX stuff is and why it’s taking the repipe/plumbing industry by storm? Well, we here at PipEase have become certified by Uponor, the PEX manufacturer. Certified to install their product and give our customers a full LIFETIME warranty to go along with the installation.
6 Common misconceptions
The definition of PEX taken directly from Google is the following:
PEX (or crosslinked polyethylene) is part of a water supply piping system that has several advantages over metal pipe (copper, iron, lead) or rigid plastic pipe (PVC, CPVC, ABS) systems.
PEX has been used for over 50 years now. It was originally introduced in Europe and it’s becoming the go-to product for most repipe companies. The reason why it works is because –
- It’s much cleaner and easier to install
- Faster to install
- 50% fewer chances of a leak compared to Copper
- 10 times quieter than Copper
- Overall the better product
PEX Vs. Copper
- Resists corrosion, pitting and scaling
- Its flexibility helps prevent freeze damage
- Retains heat in hot-water lines; resists condensation on cold-water lines
- Dampens running water noise; eliminates water hammer singing pipes
- PEX cannot be dry-fit; it eliminates the possibility of future leaks
- The product eliminates the need for chemicals and torches that can harm the environment
- PEX is NSF certified for water purity
- Flexibility also eliminates additional fittings and liability.
- Manufactured since 1968. USA made
- Has been used for potable water delivery for centuries
- Still uses torch and lead based products for bonding
- Rigid Copper Type “L” may be prone to earthquake danger
- Pinhole leaks and pitting is a problem
- Not compatible with freezing temperatures due to ice expanding the pipe thus creating ripples and tearing the pipe
- Running water noise may be an issue if the plumbing is in the attic
- Copper STILL has lead in its structure
- Has a MUCH higher chance of leaks in joints
Health Concerns or Risks
PEX is a much safer product than any other “plastic” product may be. PEX is not to be compared with any other piping system in the market. The “Engel” method or as we know it Grade “A” is becoming the popular method for the repipe industry. PEX is used in over 80% of our jobs and it is NSF approved as well as a BPA free product. PEX has been used in space stations, RV’s and most house hold filtration systems. PEX can be found as the product used for an Ice Maker line or even a Reverse Osmosis line. For more information feel free to visit www.uponor.com.